Welcome, Guest.
Would you like to register?

Welcome to GoXplore.

Do you live for those days when you can grab your rucksack and boots and head off into the wild?

GoXplore is an online community where you will meet hundreds of other people like yourself. It's for everybody who loves the natural world enough to go wilderness camping, exploring, climbing and mountaineering or navigating the world's waters by kayak, raft or yacht.

With friends in all regions of the world, the forum offers completely free membership - why not join now - and you could be in dialogue with some of the world's most interesting outdoorsmen in less than a minute.

Setting Out New to the outdoors? Learn from our experience!

Old 18th March 2013, 02:04 PM
Background Reader

pointless_noise is on a distinguished road
Public Right Of Way

hey, just a quick question anyone know anyway to find out if a piece of woodland has public access?
Old 18th March 2013, 11:42 PM
Park Ranger

marchingmags is on a distinguished road
I think it will have signs at the entrances indicating it is a public space, a bit like a park or a nature reserve. I remember a few bits of woodland near where I used to live being marked like that. You could always ring the local council.
Old 19th March 2013, 11:58 AM
Xtreme Member

clunk is on a distinguished road
as mags said , there will either be a sign or fingerposts telling you its a public footpath or open to the public , if you have to climb over a fence or a locked gate then its obviousely not open to the public
Old 19th March 2013, 07:48 PM
Regular Contributor

jez2391 is on a distinguished road
I have to disagree with the above as on two occasions in my life I have come across public rights of way where the land owners have put up keep out private signs and fences, some buy these proprieties fully aware of the rights of way and then try and close them
Old 19th March 2013, 09:42 PM
Xploraholic

Stu is on a distinguished road
Yes I see that often Jez
Usually the landowners are incomers with little affinity with the countryside and the people who enjoy it
Old 20th March 2013, 07:50 AM
Xploraholic

insane_climber is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to insane_climber
OS map???
Old 20th March 2013, 09:05 AM
Park Ranger

An OS map will show some information on unrestricted land, but not all, and not necessarily up to date. I agree that there are some landowners who put up unwarranted signage, but they are a minority, and it certainly doesn't give walkers the right to go rambling wherever it takes our fancy. There are many people who legally own land they prefer to keep private, and that is their right by law, whether right or wrong. We need to respect that, and cherish the access we have. Hopefully, by legal campaigning, we can gain more access as time goes by. It's a thorny subject I know, but trespassing just winds folk up. Showing that walkers are responsible aids our cause in the long term.
Old 20th March 2013, 05:31 PM
Regular Contributor

Surely if someone is knowingly restricting a right of way, they do not have a right by law in fact they are knowingly breaking the law whether its there land or Gods to that matter, it is a thorny subject in fact I hate these type of people with a vengeance as far as I am concerned they don't deserve any rights as they themselves are unfair and dishonest. Phew
Old 20th March 2013, 08:29 PM
Park Ranger

For sure Jez. Blocking a public right of way is just as illegal as trespassing on private land. It swings both ways.
Old 20th March 2013, 08:49 PM
Xploraholic

dogrob is on a distinguished road
Talking about blocking public rights of way, the gypsies in my area keep putting fencing across a public footpath and the best thing is its not even there land!! Barbed wire fence as well, I had words with a couple of em the other day and it got heated as I knew it would but I got fed up with cutting the barbed wire and my leatherman was getting blunt lol (I waited till they went before doing that). They use the land to keep a couple of horses on but they like to keep them in one field so they don't have to go looking for them in the others but I watched a woman trying to climb through the fencing the other day getting her clothes snagged on the barbs and it made my blood boil. I think rights of way are always going to cause some conflicts although not often and as long as both the land owner and walkers are responsible and respect each other there shouldn't be a problem. I have seen idiots letting there dogs run riot across farmland risking there dogs getting shot and livestock getting injured or loosing young. Personally I think the farmer should shoot some of the owners rather than the dogs!

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
Old 20th March 2013, 09:29 PM
Regular Contributor

Yep your right Mags it does go both ways and I sometimes wander if all walkers were more responsible whether we would have the same problems. Leave only footprints, take only memories. I know what you mean by the dog owners Rob, lol
Old 21st March 2013, 02:55 PM
Xtreme Member

clunk is on a distinguished road
the best one i've ever seen is on the dales way , you walk straight down the middle of the garden and right through the center of the house thats been built over the footpath then straight out the back gate
but as has been said , some folk think they can just block a public footpath and get away with it ( we have the same probs with the gypo's round here too rob ) , even the factory i work at tried it on when they got some extra land to extend the place , but the council and the locals made them replace it , it was re routed by a few yards and a propper path was put in allowing access to the footbridge over the rail line again
Old 22nd March 2013, 05:06 AM
Xploraholic

insane_climber is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to insane_climber
if a footpath runs through private property the land owner has the right to close a section of it for privacy, live stock benefit ect. but they have to put up diversion signs
Old 22nd March 2013, 08:04 AM
Regular Contributor

Nah ! I say bring in the bulldozers